August 7th, 2017 | Latest News

It’s An Unbeaten Streak for McAleenan’s Men

Senior Football ACFL Division One

4th Augusta 2017

Mayobridge 1-10 vs Cumann Pheadair Naofa 2-09


Cumann Pheadair Naofa senior footballers stood up to the might of Mayobridge on Friday past to claim joint-second place in the ACFL on a blustery evening in Mayobridge.


The Warrenpoint men have been on a great run recently and a win in Mayobridge would have sprung them into the highest position they have been in for some time but also would have avenged the heavy defeat of last years fixture in the same venue for the Blues.


On six minutes Aaron Magee broke the Bridge lines to have a shot excellently saved by the Mayobridge goalkeeper. However, it was Mayobridge who seized the early initiative with the opening two points of the game. John Boyle opened the Warrenpoint scoring with a fine long-range effort to reduce the margin to the minimum before the Sky Blues reasserted their early dominance, landing three of the next four scores. Cathal Magee was in impressive form for Mayobridge converting numerous scores, from both dead-ball situations and from play. Ross McGarry was on-target with a curling effort from the left-hand side of the field to again leave a point between the sides, but it was Mayobridge who would have the final say of the half with a well-finished goal from Conleth O’Hare. The half time score was Cumann Pheadair Naofa 0-4, Mayobridge 1-05, reflecting the defensive approach of both teams.


The second half opened ferociously with Conor D’arcy the hero as he denied Mayobridge their second goal with two magic saves to keep the Point men in the game. Mayobridge pointed early in the second half, however, it was from this point that the Seasiders seized control of the game. Ross McGarry and Eoin Henry fired over points before the impressive Ryan Mallon, who entered the fray shortly after half-time, punched to the net. Ross McGarry added another in what was a very prosperous period for Niall McAleenan’s men. Mayobridge replied with two points to re-establish their supremacy. John Boyle popped up with his second long-range score in what was a marvellous individual performance from the veteran defender. Mayobridge again found a response with a good point, but it was Jamie Grant who found the game’s decisive score moments later when he caught a high ball on the edge of the Bridge square and swivelled to fire the ball to the net to give the Seasiders a two point advantage. Both sides exchanged points before Tullylish whistler Ronan Barry called a halt to proceedings. The final score read; Cumann Pheadair Naofa 2-09, Mayobridge 1-10.


There were excellent performances from Ryan Boyle, Ryan Mallon and Jamie Grant, however, the man-of-the-match was John Boyle with a standout display in the heart of the Blues defence. Warrenpoint now sit 2nd in the league on 18 points alongside Kilcoo and Mayobridge and head in the championship on Thursday night with a renewed determination versus a Bryansford team who have also shown good form recently. Throw in is 7:45pm in Mayobridge.